Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cauliflower macaroni cheese

Well, predictions that we would be too busy/lazy to update this blog proved accurate. But there's always new years resolutions...

In the meantime, thought I would share a small revelation I had today.  I bought some cauliflower from the farmers' market, and my thought process went something like this:

1. Cauliflower cheese is nice.
2. But it's not quite a meal.
3. If only cauliflower cheese could be somehow more... carby.
4. Macaroni cheese is nice.
5. Maybe we should have cauliflower cheese and macaroni cheese AT THE SAME TIME!
6. How come nobody ever does this?

So, I made it, and lo, it was pretty tasty. It's probably pretty self explanatory and I don't wish to patronise, but for completeness:

WHAT I USED

One cauliflower; three small leeks; the macaroni i had left in the packet (around 150g, maybe?); some peas; a decent-sized block of mature cheddar, maybe around 5cm by 10cm; a pint of milk; 2 tbsp flour, a knob of butter, nutmeg, thyme, salt, pepper

WHAT I DID

1. Cut the cauliflower into florets and boiled for around 5 mins. Chopped the leeks but didn't pre-cook them.
2. Meanwhile, made the cheese sauce: melt the butter, stir in the flour, add the milk a little at a time with lots and lots of whisking to get rid of lumps; keep whisking/stirring over the heat for 5 mins or until it thickens, shaking in some frozen peas a few minutes before the end; take off the heat and grate in most of the cheese. (I added a bit of grated nutmeg, a decent shake of dried thyme and some salt/pepper as well.)
3. Drained the cauliflower and left it standing in the colander while I did the macaroni in the same saucepan (hooray for less washing up)
4. Mixed the pasta, cauliflower and leeks in a big shallow oven-proof dish, then poured the cheese sauce on top.
5. Sprinkled some extra grated cheese on top and baked at around 200C for 15-20 mins.

Mark and I have both been a bit ill today and I can confirm that this makes excellent comfort food. Also prep time was probably less than half an hour. Seriously, why have I never seen anyone combine these two things before? You know it makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment